Thursday 21 November 2013

How well is your business represented?

I was really quite annoyed earlier this week when, while shopping with my 2 year old, a van pulled into the last parent and child parking space at our local supermarket.  Of course, that would have been fine had there been a child in the van, but there was not.  This wasn’t just any van though, it was branded with the name of a local coffee shop (see my blog from a few weeks ago).

 
I am aware that many people are guilty of taking advantage of the proximity of these spaces to the shops, but most people are protected from consequences by their anonymity – unless of course a very harassed parent is up for a fight on a carpark (one should never entirely discount this possibility).
 
Now, most business owners I know are keen to present themselves well when put in front of potential customers.  After all, people buy from people or, more specifically, people buy from people they like, all other things being equal.
 
But when are you representing your business and when is it OK to behave in a less professional manner?  I am a member of various networking groups where everyone is on their best behaviour, but would I find people equally as courteous and professional if I ran into them in the pub after a tough day?  The truth is that you are always representing your business.  Even if no-one in the vicinity is ever likely to purchase your product or service, they may know someone else who is.  Or they may be a keen Facebook contributor whose friends are potential customers – I’m not sure that bad publicity is worse than no publicity at all. 
 
For every interaction you have, you have no idea where it will end up.  The number of times I have come across people in the course of my business who I have had a previous, completely unrelated, connection to is amazing.  It truly is a small world.  But the impression you made first time around still counts, and will influence a potential customer’s decision to buy from you.  This may be worth remembering next time someone cuts you up while driving – what image do you want to portray?
 
So it’s important to remember that you are always representing your business – in every photo on Facebook, while driving your car, in every social setting.  Make sure you represent your business well.

No comments:

Post a Comment